Digital Juice SANDBAGS are an indispensable part of video and film production because they have so many uses. Primarily they are used to add weight to objects like light stands and grip gear to prevent them from falling over. Practically speaking, sandbags are also employed in a variety of other production tasks as well.
Production is as much about problem solving as it is about capturing images. There are regular scenarios where having sandbags can make the difference between getting shots and wasting time. They are one of the simplest, cheapest, most practical pieces of gear to own.
The flexible material used in the DJ Sandbag ensures it can conform to and secure most equipment used on a set. Use it to keep lightstands, cables, reflectors & umbrellas in place.
Safety should be the number one priority on any set. Proper use of the DJ Sandbag can protect your investment in people, time and equipment.
The DJ Sandbag's sturdy construction and use of double-zippered pouches ensures that once filled, the bags will stay filled and won't create a mess. It's the sandbag you can depend on.
With the double zipper design, you can fill the DJ Sandbag once and you're done. Whichever filler you choose, whether it's sand, rice, steel shot or pea gravel, it's going to stay in the DJ Sandbag until you empty it.
Left: The DJ Sandbag in use as a wedge to create a level surface for camera gear on a low level street shot.
Below, right: The DJ Sandbag also makes a great adjustable base for a camera alone on low level action street shots.
- DIMENSIONS: 24" x 10.75" (laying flat)
- MATERIALS: Sandbags are made with 100% polyester double matte fabric, fibre content conforming to AATCC 20:2008 /20A:2008 standards. The fabric is waterproof and tested for flammability conforming to standard 16 CFR 1610.
- The bags are completely sewn using nylon thread and seam slippage is tested to ASTM D1683:2007 standards.
- USER-FILLABLE POCKETS: There is a zip opening on each side of the Sandbag. Each of these concealed openings has double zippers to protect the contents from spilling over. These zippers have been tested for zipper strength to ASTM D2061:2007.
- APPROXIMATE WEIGHT WHEN FILLED:
Filled Weight with Sand*:
Up to 30lbs (15-25lbs recommended)
- Filled Weight with Lead Shot Pellets*:
Up to 50lbs (15-25lbs recommended)
* Sand and lead shot pellets are not provided. Weight is given as a guide for you to use with the fill of your choice available at most home improvement and hardware stores.
In a production environment how are Sandbags generally used?
Sandbags are an indispensable part of video and film production because they have so many uses. Primarily, they are used to add weight to objects like light stands and grip gear to prevent them from falling over. Practically speaking, sandbags are also employed in all sorts of other tasks including:
- preventing the legs of a tripod from moving when a "lockdown" shot is required
- adding stability to a tripod - hanging a sandbag from the center lowers its center of gravity
- stopping a moving camera dolly on a track
- as an adjustable base to put a camera on for a ground level shot
- as a wedge used to level gear
- as a cushioned knee rest for camera operators or talent
- as a step for talent to stand on if an increase in height is required
Who needs a Sandbag?
Everyone involved in production, whether for video, film, or photography can benefit from having sandbags. Independent producers or camera people who regularly have to do their own lighting, rigging and directing depend on gear that helps them work quickly.
What makes the DJ Sandbag unique when compared to others on the market?
The quality of construction on the DJ Sandbag is second to none. Other bags use a lesser grade of material and have a tendency to rip when snagged. The DJ Sandbag is made from non-flammable, waterproof 100% polyester double matte fabric. It is completely sewn using nylon thread with seam slippage tested to meet a very high standard.
DJ Sandbags are user-fillable so they are easy to store / pack when not in use. They employ a double=zippered compartment on both sides to prevent leakage. The center grip handle is made of tough nylon that is comfortable enough to pick up and move from setup to setup. Overall the Sandbags are designed for production environment use and can withstand heavy usage well.